The Belmont Forum and NORFACE launch the Programme ”Transformations to Sustainability” (acronym: T2S). T2S will contribute to re-structuring the broad field of sustainability research by placing social science and humanities at the heart of interdisciplinary research in a step change in scale and scope for research programming on this topic. Co-production of knowledge and research problem formulation is considered to be critical to the process of societal transformation. Researchers from social sciences/humanities (SSH) can apply to T2S on behalf of a consortium. The deadline for the first stage of Outline Proposals was April 5, 2017.
The European Commission is providing top-up funding via an ERA-NET Cofund grant to this joint research programme.
Objectives and themes
To study the challenges targeted in this call, both inter- and transdisciplinary approaches that enable researchers to address the interconnections and interdependencies between natural and human systems, as well as between science and society, are needed. This programme has two major objectives:
- To develop understanding of and promote research on transformations to sustainability which are of significant social, economic and policy concern throughout the world and of great relevance to both academics and stakeholders.
- To build capacity, overcome fragmentation and have a lasting impact on both society and the research landscape by cultivating durable research collaboration across multiple borders, disciplinary boundaries, and with practitioners and societal partners. This includes facilitating the development of new research collaborations with parts of the world which are not often involved in large-scale international research efforts, notably low- and middle-income countries.
The programme is structured around three themes, every research project should focus on at least one of these themes:
- Governance and institutional dimensions of transformations to sustainability
- Economy and finance of transformations to sustainability
- Well-being, quality of life, identity, and social and cultural values in relation to transformations to sustainability
The total funding available for this T2S programme over a period of three years has been set at a minimum of 13 M€ across the international funding partners. Small and large projects are equally welcome. The total funding requested from the T2S partners must not exceed € 1,500,000 across all participating partners for each project. Projects can last up to 36 months.
Proposals to the T2S research programme will be processed in two stages. In the first stage, Outline Proposals were invited with a deadline of April 5, 2017. The Outline Proposals are abridged versions of the Full Proposals. All applicants will receive notification of the shortlisting decisions in June 2017. Shortlisted applicants will be invited to submit a Full Proposal, with a deadline of 26 September 2017.
For programme details please refer to the Transformations to Sustainability (T2S) Call for Proposals. All relevant documents are provided below.
Please note, that the Call for Proposals and Frequently Asked Questions were updated on 24 February 2017 and now contain the participation of Lithuania as Cooperation Partner in T2S. An additional change was made to the Frequently Asked Questions on 28 February to clarify that a low or lower-middle income country funded by the ISSC will count as one of the three countries that must participate in an application in order to be eligible. The Outline Proposal Template was updated on 10 February 2017 and now contains the option to request funding from ISSC under section 13. No other changes were made.