Existing and rising inequalities pose fundamental challenges to European societies and economies. The increasing gap between rich and poor, exacerbated by the recent financial and economic crises, is a key concern. The sources of inequalities in contemporary societies are complex and highly intertwined and they and their consequences can only be understood by comprehensive research activities.
It is for this reason that NORFACE (the New Opportunities for Research Funding Agency Cooperation in Europe) network has launched its fourth major transnational research programme on the topic of Dynamics of Inequality Across the Life-course: structures and processes (Acronym: DIAL).
The European Commission is providing top-up funding via an ERA-NET Cofund grant to this joint research programme.
NORFACE launched the DIAL Call in December 2015. Applications to the NORFACE research programme are processed in two stages. In the first stage, project Outline Proposals were invited with a deadline of 30 March 2016. 170 proposals were submitted to the programme.
These proposals have been assessed by the DIAL Evaluation Panel. The NORFACE Network Board has followed the panel’s recommendation to invite 49 teams to the Full Proposal stage. The main applicants who have submitted an Outline Proposal have been informed of the decision regarding their application. The deadline for Full Proposals was on 12 October 2016.
Funding decisions will be taken by the NORFACE Network Board in April 2017. Soon after, information on the funded projects will be published on this website.
The NORFACE partners are looking to appoint a Scientific Programme Coordinator for the DIAL programme. Information about the documentation for the Full Proposal stage, the funding decision and the appointment of a Scientific Programme Coordinator will be published on this website.
All relevant documents are provided below:
- Programme Text (PDF)
- DIAL Call of Proposals (PDF)
- National Eligibility Requirements (PDF)
- Templates Budget Tables (Excel)
- Full Proposal Application Template (Word)
- Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- Instructions ‘How to submit a Full Proposal’ (PDF)
For more information, please contact the Coordination Office Agency at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions about national eligibility issues, please contact the national contact persons listed in the Call for Proposals.
Themes and objectives of the programme
This programme has three major objectives:
- To advance globally excellent theoretical and methodological research on dynamics of inequality across the life-course which may be multi-disciplinary, inter-disciplinary and comparative, and which builds synergistically on a pan-European basis.
- To motivate and support excellence and capacity building for research on dynamics of inequality across the life-course on a cross-national basis throughout the NORFACE countries.
- To develop understanding and promote research-based knowledge and insight into dynamics of inequality across the life-course for issues of societal, practical and policy relevance, with theoretical foundations but worked on jointly with relevant users and experts.
The programme is structured around four themes that reflect transitions and trajectories at four stages of the life course, described in detail in the programme text accompanying this call for proposals. These four themes are:
- early life influences and outcomes;
- early adult transitions into tertiary education, vocational training and economic activity;
- labour market and family trajectories and the growth of inequality; and
- labour market participation in later life and retirement.
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 724363